Monday, April 13, 2015

I have never had so many kisses in my life!


Reunited with Hermana Delagdo!


Grapes on the side of the road that we got to eat.

The Toloza Family



​I have never had so many kisses i​n my life! But don't worry anyone, I'm not breaking rules, that is the way people greet each other down here in Chile, and as a missionary we can only greet other girls like that.  For the boys it is strictly handshakes! 
Last Wednesday I did my first division (companion exchange). Guess who it was with? Hermana Delagdo, my companion for the CCM. Crazy I know! We had a blast and walked at least 10 miles, no joke! She is killing it in her Ward so it was fun for me to visit another area. I even contacted three people all by myself that day. I couldn't say a lot but I was still really proud of myself. It is really hard for me to contact people because having conversations (in Spanish) is something I am still struggling with.
Oh my gosh the food here will be the death of me., it is so good! The chocolate and ice cream here are amazing and my sweet tooth has become a sweet mouth.  But​​ don't worry Mom​, I am being healthy. We have a blender so lots of smoothies. This past week I tried these two types of fruit called Peppino Dulces and Oigos. Really strange but very delicious.
I have met an angel here and her name is Maria Angelica. She is amazing. She is ~50 years old and has a son with special needs who is 12. We stop by to see her regularly. She is ALWAYS giving us pan (bread) or cookies that she has made. It is so humbling. She lives in a humble apartment - just a kitchen and a little bedroom with two beds in it. We teach her in the bedroom. She just got a job and is so excited to be able to pay tithing and receive the blessings of tithing. She calls us her hijas (which means her daughters). I love her with all my heart. I really feel like I am her daughter.
We have some other pretty awesome investigators too. One is named Paola. She has a son named Cristobal, who I am in love with (it's just that he is a little younger than me, well, make that a lot younger than me!). He plays cars with me when we come and teach his mom. She has so many questions about the gospel and reads both the Bible and the Book of Mormon. She wants to get baptized but the problem is she isn't married to her pololo (word for boyfriend). They plan on getting married but not until after they buy a house, which could be a year or more. We pray for them every night. With the Lord all things are possible.
I am really getting the hang of city life: the walking, the buses, the metro, the noise, the people. But I still prefer the peace and quiet of the suburbs.
My favorite thing from conference was Wilford Anderson and his story about the medicine man who said, " I can teach you to dance but you have to hear the music" Um, ...can you say missionary work? I can teach the people the gospel but they have to know it for themselves and that is really hard to see people struggle and not hear the music. Thank you for all your prayers. I use them everyday.
​Hasta el Lunes prximo!
Hermana Showalter​

No comments:

Post a Comment